Wednesday, July 19, 2006

the social contract

I need to clear that air about something that happened recently and I thought sharing my new found wisdom with others might be helpful.

Recently, I had a debate/argument with another gamer about "behavior." Things he/she was doing at the table was getting on my nerves and vice versa. It was obvious to me that a rift was growing. And instead of dealing with it away from the table as a I ALWAYS do, this time I said something in the middle of game play.

And wow, was that the wrong move.

For starters, the majority of people don't really like being called on their *&$%.

Ever.

I've known this for years, so this isn't an epiphany.

But this problem wasn't really the other person at all, but rather how I continued to not saying anything time and time again about the behavior.

About what was irking me.

And of course, it came out the wrong way, at the wrong time, over the most insignificant of events.

And I know better.

Now, I'm going to eventually post about how to get along at the table and play better games together and I don't want to encrounch on what will certainly be the longest post on this page, but everyone should know that I do not condone, EVER, arguing at the table.

About anything.

Politics, sex, religion, game rules, flavors of monkeys, or even movies.

The game table is a safe haven. It's where people can say anything without being judged. It's where roleplaying takes place and the unwritten social contract/convenent between players is that no one mocks anyone during "pretend time."

This is very important.

Because as soon as you jabberjaw about some malarky like your mom's cooking or someone's fat ass, you violate the tenets of the social contract. You unsettle the table and you make the evening/weekend/love fest feel very awkward.

Most of you know this.

I'm not really covering new ground.

But, I just thought I'd say for the record that I knew the lesson and I still f**ked it up.

So saying it again can't hurt.

Only you can prevent forest fires.

No comments: